Insect Sting Allergies




There are plenty of stinging insects found in the United States such as fire ants, hornets, wasps, yellow jackets and honey bees. While not everyone is allergic to an insect sting venom, some may have reactions in the skin. Redness, swelling and mild pain may occur after the sting.


Allergic Reactions

Allergic reaction to an insect sting varies from person to person. Allergic reactions can include hives, itchy fireantsskin, tingling or itching in the mouth, nauseousness or vomiting. Anaphylaxis is the most dangerous reaction and can be fatal. Hoarseness, difficulty breathing, swelling of the tongue, dizziness and fainting are signs of a severe allergic reaction. Prompt treatment is essential during a severe allergic reaction, and emergency help is typically needed.




Treatment and Management

First step is to avoid contact with stinging insects.

Here are a few key steps:

With a severe reaction where the individual is having difficulty breathing or such, call 911 immediately.

After a serious reaction to an insect sting, make an appointment with our allergist / immunologist. With testing, our allergist can diagnose your condition and determine the best form of treatment.